Upcoming

UPCOMING WORKSHOPS & PERFORMANCES

July 10 – September 11, 2013. $200 for 10 weeks, or $25 drop-in. You don't need to be able to read music! Wednesday evenings from 7-8:30 p.m.

June 14, 2013

Perfection

Today, a quote from my teacher, mentor, colleague and friend, Dr. Bryan Baker: 


“The goal is not to give a perfect performance, because that is impossible. The goal is to practice as perfectly as possible, and that makes an excellent performance more likely.”

For me, this means that I should practice calmly, and with my emotions in full view. When I can sing or play alongside (not in spite of) my grief, my joy, my love, my longing, with composure in private, it's more likely that I can be that honest in front of an audience.

Which leads me to another quote, from another teacher, Donna Davis:

"Acting is about telling the truth."
 
And singing is about being naked.

There is so much more to say here. Coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment